Here’s what I have noticed over the course of many years in the small business development arena that I chose to make a career decades ago.
Most people that have the dream of starting a business don’t really want to have a business at all!
- They dream of huge incomes that will support all their fantasies.
- They dream of a non-structured lifestyle where they avoid commitments, deadlines, and boring meetings.
- They dream of being the boss, not taking orders from anyone, making all the strategic business decisions themselves.
- They dream of being able to run their business from wherever they choose.
- They dream of working when they want to and as long as they want to – typically craving shortened work days and work weeks.
- They dream of the prestige and status of owning their own company.
- They dream of a secure and fulfilling working career with lots of money available for their early retirement.
The dreams almost never acknowledge the underlying realities of the work, sacrifice, and commitment that are never optional for success.
You know what?
Having your own business is like having a baby.
Before the baby actually arrives you tend to focus on your baby dreams – they are so cute, innocent, precious, cuddly, and so much fun!
Reality Alert !!!
When you create a new little life, you make a huge commitment. You will be required to feed the baby, tend him 24/7, protect him, nurture him, develop him, and pay for everything he needs.
Babies and new businesses, IMO are worth it.
But babies and businesses, can at times, stink! They can get sick. They can try your very patience and make you wonder “what was I thinking?”
They often separate you from your sleep, drain you of your cash, require your utmost attention and care, and present one problem after another that need solving right now. Babies and businesses can strain marital relationships, destroy “personal” time, and test the mettle of your soul.
All of a sudden the dreams you had before Jr. arrived seem so out-of-touch and immature. What were you thinking?
Go into business for the right reason and with your eyes wide open!
To your online business success,